22.2.11

Thoughtful Jumble

I really want to write some profound post about my thoughts and emotions and experiences since coming here, but it feels like too great a task to put into words. Suffice it to say, it is good. The kind of good that only comes from God, the giver of all good things. It's exciting, it's challenging, it joyous, and it's fun. I wake up in the morning, and I feel simultaneously at home, and like I'm in a foreign world where everything is new and saturated with meaning. And that is a fun place to be. I have often wondered at how someone with duel parts adventurous spirit and also a longing to be at home and to be settled could possibly live in a state of satisfaction on both sides. And guess what? For the time being at least, I believe (I) have found it. (I being not me of course, since let's be honest I played a minimal/non-existent role in my own road to Kenya). Not surprisingly, my Lord knows me best, and crafted a role for me that would speak to my various layers of spirit. Don't get me wrong, I don't for a minute think the purpose of life is to feel a certain way, or that there is any real value in self-satisfaction. Life is not about me, nor is my role in God's kingdom about finding my perfect niche. I guess my point is that when we somehow, miraculously find ourselves in the midst of God's plan for our lives, instead of our own plan, we find a new level of satisfaction that has nothing to do with the outside elements. Yes, living a life of adventure and relative ease is enjoyable, and I'm loving every moment of it--but what I'm truly marveling at is the feeling of purpose and joy that I've found in the service of my King. It's the American dream to be your own boss, the king of your castle, the TOP of your self-propelling pyramid of being (what? just run with it). But oh the joy of living for someone greater than yourself, THE someone to be exact. Believe me, there is truly nothing sweeter than giving up all control to the giver of life itself.

That wasn't at all what I set out to write about, but it's what is on my mind, and what I'm thanking God for right this minute.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment