Today I saw two pigeons kind of swimming in a big puddle (do pigeons swim? Google results say yes--thank God for Google: http://www.flickr.com/photos/q8lt/219753727/), and although they gross me out, I thought it looked like they were having fun. That, in turn, inspired me to go directly through a set of sprinklers further along my run a la childhood fun in the yard. Turns out spandex running pants don't take well to water...
That reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when I was working at Anthropologie on 3rd St. Promenade. A flustered man approached me in a panic, telling me that he had seen a pigeon fly into one of our windows, and said pigeon had broken its neck and was now paralyzed on the sidewalk, unable to move but in a lot of pain nonetheless. This is honestly a direct quote. He was very upset when I informed him that no, I didn't think I was going to call animal services or a vet. When I asked him why HE didn't call, he said it was my responsibility as an employee of the store who had caused the pigeon's untimely demise. Did I mention that based on appearances this man was a normal 30ish guy who was shopping with his wife? Who knew he was also a bird whisperer? I still am not sure if it was some sort of test from corporate (perhaps my promotion shortly after was a direct result of my amazing handling of the tragic pigeon episode). I never did find out what happened to that poor bird...
Later on my run today I saw a huge crow (of whose species I generally detest due to an unfortunate comparison that a guy made between said birds and my general appearance. Still getting over that). This crow was trying to fly, but almost falling due to a huge piece of twig in her mouth which I can only assume she was trying to build a nest with. She is a fighter, and finally gained some air, flying off into the distance to conquer her life. And I decided maybe crows aren't so bad after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment