13.8.09
This week's musings...
This week I have been feeling extremely grateful for my 26.5 years. I'm in that really comfortable, exciting place in life where I am still young and have so much to hope for and dream about, but I've also passed by some years of awkwardness and insecurity that I don't miss at all! I think the mid-twenties bring a new feeling of peace and comfort in your own skin that early twenties in all it's glorious uncertainty and arrogance just can't compete with. Sure, I'm not just out of college, but I look better, feel better, and react more sanely to things at 26 than I did at 22. Ironically I haven't really answered any of those big life questions I was asking myself when I graduated college, but I've lived A LOT of life and learned even more about relationships and myself than I did in the self-indulgent years of college (not self-indulgent in a bad way, college is a great time to focus on figuring out who you are and what you are about). I think our current culture puts SO much emphasis on getting it together right when you leave college--what is your career, where are you going to live for the next 10 years, how much money will you have--and I know very few people who are still on the same path they were on at graduation day. Just like people tend to change their major a couple times in college as they settle in and the voice of their high school guidance counselor fades into the distance, so do the first few years of college bring a lot of changes and surprises to what you thought adult life was going to be about. I for one do not miss being 22 or 23, and I think that these next few years might just end up being the best I've had yet. Thank you Lord for growth, perspective, and the mercy of change!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment