18.8.09


A few days ago my mom sent me this picture while she and my dad were sailing to Catalina. It's a picture of the dinghy that is mounted to the back of the boat. Can you see the teeny tiny little bird sitting on top?
I found this image really poignant. My mom titled the email "hitchhiker"--one tiny bird, in the middle of a vast ocean, finding a brief respite on whatever "island" she could find. Lover of metaphors as always, I couldn't help but feel like this bird is a kindred spirit. All too often I find myself out in the middle of an seemingly endless ocean with no land in sight. I start to despair, feeling the aching in my wings as I try to stay in flight. And then, out of the clouds I see a sailboat. Not what I expected, but a welcome landing place all the same. And honestly, oftentimes what I think to be a random landing place turns out to be better than what I would have planned. Would I rather sit in a tree, or on a 50ft sailboat, riding the waves and watching the dolphins chase the wake? Much like this bird, I am sitting pretty on an amazing ride. Not where I expected to be, or where I seemingly might belong, but I am resting and I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment