"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:11-12
16.11.10
But I don't want to
I've spent quite a bit of time around little ones lately--and not just any little ones, but my very favorites! There's nothing quite like a hug from a precious three year old, or making your nephew laugh, or having your friend's daughter want to follow you around and jump on your bed. No matter how well behaved or adorable these kids are, spend any amount of time with little people and you are bound to hear your fair share of "no," "I can do it myself," and my personal favorite, "I don't want to." I don't bring this up to highlight the behavior of any particular child, but my very own behavior and attitude. We all expect these words and feelings from a child--it's a part of growing up, experimenting with boundaries, authority and obedience. But do we expect these responses from ourselves? Do we recognize our innate selfishness on a day to day basis when we're all grown up? When my niece tells me she doesn't want to put her shoes on, it's kind of funny--I mean, who wants to stop playing and waste time like that when Pops will be carrying her to the car anyways? I can sympathize. What about when God asks me to lay my pride down and admit to my faults and I simply don't want to? Not so cute, right? Or when I think I can deal with a situation by myself and shut him out. Even worse--when I simply say no to him. To my king, my leader, the creator of the universe who knows infinitely more than I do what is right for me, for his plans, for the world. It is so easy to roll my eyes at the black and white reactions from kids--they are for or against everything, and frequently don't have the depth or maturity to see beyond immediate gratification or sacrifice. If something is fun, they want to do it. If not, forget it. Giggles or tantrums. How humbling to realize I am often the same way, albeit it you won't see me flailing in a grocery store aisle--but don't let that fool you, there are lots of things I "don't want to do" or think I can do myself. Now is the time to grow up, time to see with perspective, time to obey--and when I know and love and commune with the one who made me, it becomes ever easier to lay down my childish resistance, knowing I am safe in his arms and on his path.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment