1.10.11

DIY-the rest

To pick up where I left off in the last DIY post, here's a quick peak into my bathroom. The blue tiles on the wall and floor aren't what I would have picked, but at least they are a pretty shade. I do actually really love the small blue tiles on my floor, which you can just get a peak at in the bottom right corner.  Small details are what make the bathroom work for me--my pretty hand towel from Anthro, necklaces hanging on the wall, and some really amazing British hand soap you can buy locally. I also brought my shower curtain from the States (the same one Joanna Goddard has, no less!) 





I love my ceilings, and the pink woven lamp shades I got right after I moved in. The ceiling detail continues throughout my room, and is painted a pretty, crisp white. 


After I took this I realized the frame doesn't look centered, although it did in person. Oh well. I used to have navy curtains on these windows that were just hovering in mid-air. I love how the curtains all the way to the floor anchor the couch. The banner was made by Miss Whit for my going away party and echoes the butcher paper theme. I also love the whimsical patterns of the paper she used. She gave me some extra paper, which you'll see shortly in the frames above my guest bed. 




This is the "guest room," which is just to the left of that couch. This duvet cover is one of my Ikea purchases. Not only was it cheap, but the comforter inside was literally $8. The bright fabrics I bought at the Masai market. 

I used a combination of fabrics and papers to fill the frames. 

I bought three of the frames here (including the dark wood one above), the rest found there way here in my suitcase last month. Not only are they custom and hand-made from local wood, made by local craftsman, but they are super affordable! I think for three small frames and the large one over the couch I spent about $35. 


Here are the two other frames I bought here. The one on the right is coconut wood, the one on the bottom left has a really beautiful carved pattern, and is pretty big, about 12 x 15. 


A different perspective. Yes, my room is huge. Don't you love the floor?


The built in desk used to feel a bit dorm-ish, especially with my frame of pictures around the mirror. A few well placed accessories have helped grow it up, and in the end I wasn't willing to give up the pictures. Not only do they spruce up the (also dorm-ish) giant cracked edge mirror, but they cheer me constantly by showing me the faces I miss so much!



This polka dot tray was another Ikea find. Babs threw in the 3 delicate etched glasses, which I use as unusual desk organizers. Well the paper clips and pens get used regularly. I guess the shells are just for fun. My owl salt and pepper shakers just couldn't get left in the States. They stand in as book ends.

That wraps up the room tour. I hope you've enjoyed seeing where I live! I love having my room reflect the fact that I am at home here. Who would have thought?

I'll leave you with some real birds that were hanging out on my patio last weekend. Thanks to the awesome bird book my mom sent, I know they are silver throated hornbills. They were SO interesting to watch! I love how exotic the birds are in Nairobi, and will take them over monkeys in the back yard any day!


Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it!! Thanks, would love to see it in person some day :)

    ReplyDelete