The entire camp is divided into two teams, Chumvi and Nuru (salt and light), and we compete all week in teams for the fame and glory of winning the Chumvi/Nuru bead at the end of camp. Nuru is blue, Chumvi is red, and we have a bevy of dress-up clothes at our disposal. This was for the video we filmed to show each week--Kim and I went all out, and I was first introduced to the spandex "blue-nitard" that you may see again...in case you're wondering, Nuru has won both sessions of camp. :)
The BlueSky Avenger is a regular Camp BlueSky hero. He even has a theme-song...Living on a Prayer by Jon Bon Jovi obviously. This year, he met his new arch-nemesis...the BlueSky Avenger. Isn't she pretty? Her theme song, incidentally, is Uptown Girl. They have a video, and make an appearance towards the end of camp where they have somewhat of a dance battle...ain't camp grand?
On Fridays we have a very special night at camp called Summit Fires, and the entire camp comes with their faces painted in special colors for each group. Staff get to use all four, yippee. This was week one.
And this was week two, after we had all received our special camp names. It's a long-standing tradition and there is a meaning behind each name. From left to right I give you: Rock, Star, Ice, Mama, Vendetta, Legend, Bro, Jubilee, and Sunshine. Oh, camp.
And lastly, on Thursday nights we have BlueSky's Best Dance Crew, and the judges tend to be famous characters from movies or TV. The first week was Saved By the Bell (I was Lisa) and the second week some Wizard of Oz characters made an appearance. Dorothy, Glinda, Wicked Witch and Scarecrow.
And y'all wondered how I'd put my theater degree to good use in Kenya?


No comments:
Post a Comment